Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ethan's Birth Story

May 22nd, 2008
I will make this short. I had went for my scheduled appointment that day. I was due in 4 days. My midwives told me that I was already dilated to 2cm and that anywhere in the next 24- 48 hrs he would most likely come. I was really anxious then. They wanted to take me out to eat. So, we went to Olive Garden and all I could eat was the bread sticks. I could feel something strange happening to my body. After we ate they came to my house, only one had been to my home and the other wanted to see where I lived because it was getting close and she needed to know how to get there. They spent a couple hours with me and then left to check on some of their other patients in Clinton. I begged my mom to stay at my house because I knew it was going to happen. Around seven that evening I felt some contractions, but they were nothing. I called to let them know, but told them they weren't bothering me I was still able to do my normal activities. They told me to call when they got stronger. Well, I tried to hold off. Sometime during then I lost my mucus plug and everything I had eaten a bit earlier all came back up. Everything was going smoothly and around 1 AM the contractions started getting stronger. My mom asked if she should call the midwives and I told her to wait. Around 3 AM they were so strong that I wanted to push. So, I told my mom to go ahead and call. Luckily, they knew it was going to happen to so they didn't go home..they stayed in their van near the interstate. They were at my house before 3:30AM. They checked me and I was at 5cm. I was positive for Group B Strep. So, before and during labor I had to have an antibiotic through an IV. They started my IV while I was sitting on the couch and I remember telling them I needed to vomit. I leaned over to do my business and passed out, hitting my head on the floor. I woke up to my mother smacking me in the face. In the process I had ripped my IV out. So, they had to start it again. Once the fluids started up I felt better (I was dehydrated). They fixed my bed and I walked to my room and laid down. I remember praying through some of the contractions. Everything calmed back down and my husband called my friends to come on over. ( A little after 5AM) At 5:30 I was able to start pushing.. I began laughing and smiling. My midwives got so tickled at me during this time..because I was so happy. Ethan was born at 6:13 AM (7lbs 13oz and 19 1/2in. long)..without any problems. I was lucky and didn't tear. We had an awesome experience. The whole time my midwives were there for me. They really encouraged me and comforted me. I truly believe that birth is a beautiful miracle from God. I believe that He is our relief from pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment